Wednesday 28 December 2016

Pick of the Week 21/12/2016 Justice League vs Suicide Squad #1

Ok bit late picking this latest haul up due to Christmas related Shenanigans but it was worth waiting for happily with some excellent books coming in, including DC's first major event since Rebirth.

The list;

Justice League vs Suicide Squad #1
Aquaman  #13
Nightwing #11
Superman #13
Justice League #11
Green Lanterns #13
Batman #13
Green Arrow #13
Trinity #4
He-Man/Thundercats #3
Uncanny X-Men#16

My pick this week obviously went to JvS #1 but it was very nearly Aquaman #13. JvS edges it for me because there was number of things it did well that I really liked, first off the art by Jason Fabok is just exceptional here, so so good. I love how it opens with the set up of all these high powered villains being sprung, this bit is really well executed.  I am kind of annoyed that they spoiled the big reveal of it being Maxwell Lord in their preview but I am not that upset because its fricking Maxwell Lord and I love him as a villain! In fact I am in love with this whole team in particular Dr Polaris he just isn't used enough IMO and I loved Johnny Sorrow, have done ever since the JSA run by Johns, I just think he has a really cool look, talking of cool looks the real Lobo is back and thats awesome news. The build up to the confrontation of the 2 teams is nicely done too and it has left me looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

4/5

Elsewhere in comics;

Aquaman  #13 Just excellent stuff, I always look forward to this book, the story is excellent Abnett is killing it here. Arthur manages to convince the JL of his innocence they take his evidence to the US military who dont believe a word of it, I am guessing someone here is a N.E.M.O agent but we will see, hostilities continue and a N.E.M.O Sub is destroyed but it has been rigged so to the US it looks like its one of theirs.
Nightwing #11 This is ok, more of Dick settling into Bludhaven, and uncovering just how corrupt it is, I like the inclusion of an AA support group for reformed C level villains a nice touch.
Superman #13 Conclusion of the Frankenstein mini arc, still one of the most enjoyable books in the market

Justice League #11 this is the wrap up of the mini arc involving the super computer hacking program that sets the JL up against an AWESOME team of villains, see this is the arc this book should have started with to get people on board. Enjoyable but not loving on the art though it was really weak in this issue and I would like to see someone like Lee or Farbok on this book instead.
Green Lanterns #13 I continue to dig this book more each week, real improvement after a shaky start, we find more about the phantom lantern and Volthoom here and we have the obligatory cliff hange rending as the Phantom Lantern explodes.
Batman #13 The conclusion of the I am Suicide arc and not before time, this just hasn't worked for me, we learn that Batman has outmanoeuvred Bane and Catwoman is a plant, also we found out why he brought in the ventriloquist he seems to be immune to Psycho Pirate, the issue ends big though as Bane is left beaten and in his rage demands VENOM, oh yeah that's how I like my Bane drugged to the eye balls.
Green Arrow #13 The framing of Ollie continues, we get a better look at the right wing sleazy fly eating (yup) politician and the book ends with Ollie surrounded by thousands of angry football fans after he is framed for shooting their star player in the back.

Trinity #4 Ok this story hasnt worked for me, but it does give me what I wanted by the end of this issue. We go into Dianas dream sequence now where she is back on Themyscira  I wasn't particularly bothered about this it was ok but nothing amazing. Then we get the big reveal at the end that Mongul is behind this, hell to the yeah! I assumed/hoped he would be involved due to the black mercys but you never know.

He-Man/Thundercats #3  Just so much fun, excellent over the top art and dialogue, whats not to like? I am having a blast reading this. Lion O and the Thundercats take Skelator down and take back the Sword of Greyskull only to try and return it to He-Man only to find he is dead!
Uncanny X-Men #16 IvX tie in, whilst Jean Grey and the Cuckoos keep Karnak in check Fantomex takes control of the super sentinel making plant, turning his back on the X-Men he decides he wants to use this for his own gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment