Sunday 18 December 2016

Pick of the week 14/12/2016 Inhumans Vs X-Men #1

A good week loads to read, which means no food for my kids this week, there was some great action here, as well as a few disappointing issues, by and large though the quality was high.

The List;

Red Hood and the Outlaws # 5
Action Comics #969
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #10
The Flash #12
Superwoman #5
Inhumans vs X-Men #1
Detective Comics #946
New Super-Man #6
Suicide Squad #8
Deathsttroke #8
Supergirl #4
Wonder Woman #12


My pick in the end goes to Inhumans vs X-Men #1 personally speaking speaking a good X-Men book will trump most things, X-Men are the reason I got into comics in the first place. Although the X-Comics weren't the first books I owned or read but they were the first comics I truly LOVED  and actively collected. This book works on a few levels the1st is that its a good ensemble piece with action and intrigue, another thing that makes this book is for everything the X-Men have gone through over the last 10 years there's something very satisfying about the way the story plays out seeing the X-Men get the upper hand over the Inhumans.

This issue sets up the mini series nicely with some of the slower set up pieces already covered in issue #0, it kicks off with Hank at Cyclops grave, this is a nice opening even if it does make me boil with rage that they actually pulled the trigger on Cyke easily the greatest X-Man of them all. Heres where we find out what Hanks big news is... the representatives of the remaining key mutant groups are all here, Emma Frost, Magneto, Young Beast, Storm, Forge, Old man Logan and Rogue, the bombshell is there is no cure, the Terrigen mists will eventually wipe out all mutant life on earth, the solution Hank proposes is to escape the planet and avoid conflict whilst saving the species this way. Needless to say this is not well received , Emma drops the news that they have been planning for 8 months as to how to take out the Inhumans. They hold a vote on what to do and Storm, Magneto, Young Beast and Logan all vote to attack and at least go down fighting, Forge is pro but abstains and Rogue is against it, rather oddly (though you could say that a lot about Hanks decisions these days) Hank goes to warn the Inhumans to be taken down by Storm. What comes next is a series of set pieces as the  X-Men take the offensive against the Inhumans, in a well done scene using Dazzler Emma takes down Blackbolt Dazzler absorbs the power of his voice and sends it right back at him, Fantomex takes out Lockjaw and Jean Grey takes out Karnak but by far the most satisfying is Magneto taking out the Inhuman flagship after posing as Mutant refugee he is "rescued" he then literally tears the ship apart form the inside out after telling them "You don't save mutants I do!" I really liked that bit though loving Mags as I do I am a bit biased, the issue closes with a huge mutant strike team made up of pretty much all the X-teams approaching Attilan with Medusa and Johnny Storm waiting for them.

4/5

Elsewhere in comics;

The Good

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #10 This was so nearly my pick of the week, Hal is still in emerald space Abin  Sur and great lanterns of the past are all there, at the same time summoned by Ganthet Kyle Rayner tries to rescue Hal, meanwhile John and the rest of the corp are still trapped by Braniac all great so far. Where this book lost me is with the last page reveal, that its not really Brainiac but some of his drones working for Larfleeze. Its ok but what I was really digging about this was that it was a story which didn't just involve another of the Lanterns corps. So its a good issue from a book I really dig but not quite PoTW.

Superwoman #5 I like this a lot more than I ever thought I would, I was expecting it to be Lois Lane from the solicitations but Lana has actually been fine, what has made it that much more enjoyable is top notch writing AND the inclusion of John Henry Irons and Bibbo! Fricking Bibbo I love his inclusion.
Wonder Woman #12 This was another book that was a close contender for PoTW. WW is a book that has finally clicked with me, its the year 1 story this week and its just a really good book which ends with the big bad being unveiled as Ares god of war, the art is fantastic here top stuff.

New Super-Man #6 This book is just so good, so much fun, I love Keenan as the Chinese superman and the Chinese Batman and Wonder Woman are excellent. This is the end of this arc and it sees tragedy as the super trio take down the Chinese freedom fighters only for Super-Mans father is killed (or is he) I really hope this book has legs as so far it has been excellent.
Red Hood and the Outlaws # 5 Good issue, I am enjoying what they have been doing with this book so far, I like Jasons relationship with Bizzarro and the choice of Black Mask as a villain, good stuff.

Action Comics #969 This continues to be a good book, I am intrigued to see where this arc goes, Luthors life is in peril as it is claimed he will go onto become Darkseids heir, and Superman can't let him die so he follows himoff world, I have no doubt shenanigans will ensue.
Detective Comics #946 This is the best book so far in this arc, which is not saying a massive deal as it hasn't done much for me, despite me like the premise of a team of villains being formed from people who have been collateral damage from various super hero throwdowns. The Bat family go on the offensive and take them all down one by one until the surprising swerve at the end with Spoiler siding with the 1st Victim.


The not so good

Suicide Squad #8 This was fine, its Jim  Lee art but I just really do not care about any of these characters, Captain Boomerang is back and Hulk-Zod is put back in his box.
Deathstroke #8 - The best book so far in this run but I really just do not care about this book or any of the characters, I think I will be dropping this one.
The Flash #12 -  This shade arc is done which is good, it started fine, but a combination of the different - inferior artists has not helped it, its just been a bit of a throaway mini story which is fine but its not been as interesting as it initially seemed and the art in this issue is just awful, I hated it, the best thing about this was Barry asking Iris out at the end, bring back Carmine Di Giandomenico immediately!
Supergirl #4 Meh I don't care, I don't know why I am buying this one, so I am going to stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment