Tuesday 3 January 2017

Pick of the week 29/12/16 Justice League vs Suicide Squad #2

This was a pretty good week all being said, I did cut 2 books form my pull list today after giving them one more issue to grab me, the pick ultimately came down to 3 books JvS, All Star Batman and Wonder Woman.

The List;
Justice League vs Suicide Squad #2
All Star Batman #5
Wonder Woman #13
The HellBlazer #5
Action Comics #970
The Flash #13
Extraordinary X-Men #17
Detective Comics #947
Deathstroke #9
Titans#6
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #11
DKIII: The Master Race #7



Ultimately JvS gets the nod again, I have been looking forward to the 1st big event from DC since the Rebirth one-shot, I wasn't overly sure when it was announced what it would be but I was pleasantly surprised with issue one which was my pick last week. If the 1st issue was a nice set up this issue really pays off quite nicely, I was wondering how on earth they were going to make the SS competitive against the JL I mean lets be honest they are vastly under powered in comparison. The writing though is creative by Joshua Williamson and the art by Tony S Daniel is really top notch. Ultimately the JL big guns win their individual fights, except Superman who is put against the Enchantress so that makes sense as he is weak against magic, Croc, Diablo, Boomerang and Harley are soundly beaten by Aquaman, Flash,The Green Lanterns and Wonder Woman and that's as it should be, whilst Killer Frost is written very strongly taking down the Cyborg while Deadshot puts up a good fight before being taken down by Batman. So thats all good, the other thing I thought was well done and that has me excited is the excellent choice of villains and the continued tease of the mystery behind Rebirth being resolved, we find out that Emerald Empress, Johnny Sorrow and Maxwell Lord are all aware of the tampered time line plus I am just LOVING seeing Lobo the way he should be. Finlly I really liked the ending of the book, using Killer Frosts ability to absorb peoples life force to take down Superman and the whole of the league was well done and it really surprised me, the issue closes with the whole League imprisoned by Waller and welcomed to the Suicide Squad, great ending and it really has me excited to see what happens next and thats how these big events should feel.

Elsewhere in comics:

All Star Batman #5 - I have really enjoyed this series so far but this is definetly the best issue so far, I genuinely wasnt sure how this would play out, I am looking to the Mr Freeze arc.

DKIII: The Master Race #7 - A couple of really interesting things happen here, Hal coming back and Batman being put into the Lazarus pit by Superman that was a great way to close the issue, the problem as mentioned before is there is simply too long between issues, and you end up disconnected, that being said the idea of a de-aged Bruce Wayne in Miller DK Universe is pretty exciting.
 Detective Comics #947 -  Well thank god this story is over, it really didn't work for me, though its interesting what they have done with Spoiler and I liked the checking in with the captured Tim Drake again.

Wonder Woman #13 - This was excellent, I really like what they have been doing on this book this whole story line is interesting and I really hope it pays off.

The HellBlazer #5 - Yawn, I just cannot get into this, I really want to like this book but its not working for me and I just don't care, I will be dropping the title now.

Action Comics #970 - This book has slowed down a bit for me, the whole trial of Lex Luthor thing with Superman having to save him is interesting but its not really working for as much as I would like.

The Flash #13 This was a fun issue, with a great ending (for me at least) Wally polices Central City allowing Barry and Iris to go on a date, there were some nice moments here and the issue closes with Captain Cold evidently back on the scene for the coming Rogues reloaded story which I cannot wait to read.
Extraordinary X-Men #17 - This was very good, what this issue does really well is setting up in a believable way why Storm would go to war with the Inhumans. Its a touching story where a young mutant girl dies of M-Pox but not before Storm can make her an honorary X-Man, Storms response is in character and very believable.
Deathstroke #9 -Meh I DON'T CARE. Full disclosure I meant to drop this but didn't do so in time to avoid this issue.

Titans#6 - This issue was really good and it does 3 things which I approve of, firstly showcasing the feelings Wally has for Linda, secondly after Kadabra is beaten we find out second hand he was terrified of someone called "Manhattan" finally the Titans are being secretly observed by none other than Deathstroke, I may not be digging the solo book but I like Slade as an antagonist, so Titans vs Deathstroke? Shut up and take my money.
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #11 A good issue in what's been a great series Ganthet and Kyle bring the returned Hal upto speed and the Green Lantern Corp teaming with the Sinestro Corp to escape Larfleeze




No comments:

Post a Comment