Tuesday 13 December 2016

Pick of the Week 07/12/2016 Aquaman #12

This was a slightly light week on comics in terms of numbers, but in terms of quality it was an absolute delight, with all titles really having strong contenders for my ultra prestigious PoTW!

The List;

Aquaman #12
Superman #12
Batman #12
Nightwing #10
Justice League #10
Green Arrow #12
Green Lanterns #12 


So whilst it was a tough week I have to go with Aquaman this week and not before time, Abnetts work on this book has been absolutely stellar and this title has been a revelation since Rebirth and its one of the titles I look forward to every week, and its just been a matter of time before it was PoTW. They continue the arc that began in the 1st issue, Black Manta is trying to destroy Arthur Curry, along the way he became the head of N.E.M.O and as we saw in the last issue he wants to destroy him by turning the world against him. Last issue was superb and it saw the JL rally around and visit a hurt Arthur after the Shaggy Man throw down, but at the close we saw N.E.M.O  troops masquerading as Atlanteans attack the US. This issue continues straight way with this, the troops using stolen tech from Atlantis decimate multiple targets turning the US well and truly against Atlantis. What's great about this is the whilst its a fairly basic story its been built brilliantly over 12 issues and you really find yourself pulling for Arthur to clear his name, the injustice of how the world is treating him and buying into Mantas games really leaves you pulling for him and it is going to make the eventual comeuppance that Manta will surely receive all the more satisfying, I think Manta has been built up brilliant during this arc. The art is really strong here too and there were 2 scenes in particular that made me smile, a giant sea beast stolen by N.E.M.O eats a battle ship and then in a scene reminiscent of Mega shark vs Giant Octopus leaps into the air and eats a plane too! The issue closes with the US declaring war on Atlantis and the Justice League bursting in to take Arthur down... oh and did I mention there are US shark commandos!

4/5


Elsewhere in comics

Superman #12 Its no secret I have been loving this book, I think Tomasi has just been smashing it out of the park, and this is another really fun issue but Supes takes a backseat here to Frankenstein Agent of Shade! He's hunting an alien who happens to be in disguise as Lois boss at her 2nd job at the local paper, Superman gets involved and we get an excellent thrown down with some brilliant action shots, I find Mahnkes work a bit hit and miss, he nails every scene with Supes and F-Stein but I have to say I do not like the art for Lois Lane in this issue at all.
Batman #12 I still am not really getting into this story, and I love Bane and Batman it should have been an easy sell, that being said the art in this issue is just spectacular, Mikel Janins work is fan-bastard-tastic, I could not have been the only one who wanted Batman to fight the Sharks, maybe use some kind of repellent ;-). There an amazing spread of him scaling the tower, all in all he must take out 100 cronies here and it looks sensational, I really don't like the he became Batman rather than commit suicide. The last page with Bane looming over Batman with Catwoman on his arm is just wonderful.
Nightwing #10 Yes Dick is back in Bludhaven, loving that give him his own space and let him be a hero, nothing amazing here but an enjoyable issue.
Justice League #10 For my money this may have been the best issue of this book so far, I relaly enjoyed this a price on their heads the Justice League throwdown with a collection of Classic JL rogues including Giganta, Mammoth, Double Down, fricking Psimon and Plastique among others the issue closers with Amazo on the scene! Loved this, it was a lot of fun which a Justice League book should be, the art was fine, serviceable but it didn't grab me which is a shame.
Green Arrow #12 Otto Schmidt should just draw everything, I get really excited when I see him on the cover, I really hate the switching I would kill for this to be a monthly book with Schmidt on full time art duties! Good issue I like how the frame up comes in killing every one Green Arrow has interacted with, and there's also a few more shots taken at Trump with a corrupt politician who used to know Ollie featuring.
Green Lanterns #12  I am really starting to enjoy this book,  I am digging the deeply flawed Phantom Lantern character, Eduardo Pansica does a fantastic job with the facial expressions he is making when switching between Lantern Corp powers, good stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment